Saturday, May 3, 2014

Crossing genres

In my electronic imaging class last fall, I was tasked with creating a tryptych. Three pieces of art that are displayed side by side, all three pieces sharing a common theme. I decided that I'd love to re-create classic comic book covers with my favorite Star Wars character, Boba Fett. I replaced Superman with Boba Fett on his iconic Action comics #1 cover. For my second piece, I replaced Frank Millers Dark Knight with the galactic bounty hunter. and in the final piece, which I love the most, I replaced Spiderman on the cover of Amazing Fantasy which was his debut comic appearance. 


I have all three of them printed on high quality card stock as 11" x 17" framed pieces. I look at them everyday to remind myself that, yes, I can create awesome looking graphic designs. I'm thinking about re-visiting this theme this summer by recreating all of Frank Miller's Dark Knight covers using Boba Fett and other Star Wars characters, I've already got the first cover done, so just three more to go. If I do, I'd like to do at the very least a speed-drawing video of the process, if not a full tutorial. If I do, I'll make sure and post it here!


No comments:

Post a Comment